What is allergic rhinitis ?
- Whenever you breathe in something you are allergic to, the inside of your nose become inflamed or swollen.This condition is known as Allergic Rhinitis.
- Allergic rhinitis is caused by things that triggers allergies also called as allergens.These are present both indoor and outdoor.
- When allergic rhinitis is caused by outdoor like mould on trees,grass etc., it is is known as 'Hay Fever'.
- Allergic rhinitis can also be triggered by allergens that are present in your house such as animal dander, indoor mould, house dust mites etc.
What is symptoms of allergic rhinitis?
Signs of allergic rhinitis are similar to signs of common cold.But,unlike common cold symptoms, allergic rhinitis can last for more than 8-10 days and may include following symptoms:
- Runnig nose with watery fluid or blocked nose
- Itchy nose
- Itchy or watery eyes.
- Husky voice.
- Dark circle under the eyes
- Coughing caused by clear mucus running down back to your throat.
What are the precautions to avoid Allergic Rhinitis ?
- Avoid factors that cause you allergies.
- Clean you house often to get rid of dust, animal dander or moulds.
- Take appropriate treatment of symptoms from the outset.
- Drink adequate amount of fluids which will help to flow the mucus or nasal secretion easily and relieves the congestion.
- Eat balanced healthy diet.Take hot soups.
- Diet should contain vitamins and minerals which boost the immune system to fight against any infection.
- Take rest in humid and warm environment.
- Take steam inhalation and do salt water gargling.
- Consult your doctor for treatment best suited to you.
What happens if Allergic Rhinitis is not treated ?
It is important to take proper care and treatment in allergic rhinitis.If it is not treated on time, it can aggravate asthmatic conditions and cause other complications like ear infections, Sinusitis, Tonsillitis, Pneumonia and Nasal polyps.There is strong connection between asthma and allergic rhinitis.
About 70% of people who have asthma also have allergic rhinitis as the nose is an extension of the respiratory tract.Thus it is important to diagnose and treat allergic rhinitis in order to control asthma better.